Monday, September 8, 2014

"The Hero of the Winds" (Late Post #5)


One of the more subtle highlights of my summer was revisiting a modern Zelda classic, The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker (HD). Since GameCubes are outdated (but totally retro in a die-hard fandom kind of way), my brother got his hands on the Windwaker re-release (since the software came along with his Zelda Limited Edition Wii-U). In a span of 16 days or so (at 2 hour intervals with work sprinkled in between), I completed the game, and it was a fantastic voyage (for both the GC and Wii-U). 

Playing the Windwaker all over again was fantastic. The HD edition really brought out the vibrant colors of the Windwaker world, in such a way that you couldn't help but take a moment to just see the world (or the ocean...mostly the ocean, though). Perhaps the best (and subtle) surprise is the fact that there's now a Swift Sail! The sail allows the wind to automatically change direction as you sail about the sea and the King of Red Lions flies across the ocean, too. Some other changes are minor, such where some treasure maps/heart pieces are found, but nonetheless it's a beautifully restored game to the highest standard.

As far as the story went, it was all a blur in my first voyage. I thought I was rescuing Aryll and now I'm looking for the Master Sword to fight Ganon?! What gives?, would be my overall impression of my first time around. Now, as an adult, it all makes sense now (doesn't always as an adult? Although, there will always be some things that can't be ever understood.)  Since I mostly played the game for fun rather than be complete the game (including a second-run through via Hero Mode), my brother gave me some backlash for not trying to get everything the game had to offer (I was missing 2 heart pieces for a another heart, 6 entire hearts, the Hero's Armor, a bottle, and a crap load of treasure maps), calling me lazy. Whatever. I'm happy to have played the game, for what it is, and as it's often said (or so I think): The journey IS the destination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment