Monday, November 18, 2013

Why Listening to Coldplay Doesn't Make You Gay...

"You want to know how I know you're gay?...You like Coldplay!" 
- From the 40-Year-Old Virgin

*There was another instance hinting that listening to Coldplay hints that a person gay in the TV show Bones, but I couldn't find the quote (sorry!).*

To begin, I really don't understand why or how this idea came to be or exist. It just sounds so absurd (and a little bit ignorant, to be humbly honest). Now, I don't exactly think that a random person will just say, "HAHA! YOU'RE GAY FOR LIKING COLDPLAY!!" whenever a song or two (or in my case, all of their studio albums) is played, but it's the thought that counts. And in this case, the thought propagates an unrealistic truth correlating one's sexual orientation to that same individual's taste in music (I seriously have to stop writing these blog posts after studying for my classes - I'm gonna alienate all of you someday, I can feel it). Otherwise, I'd be gay at least twice over. At least! Because I like Coldplay and I'm quite confident I'm not alone with this admission. 

Every album presents a new element to the band, all the while shifting their musical direction in grander and elaborate ways with each subsequent album Coldplay releases. For example, Parachutes (their first album) has an atmosphere akin to small and private jazz club-type setting - the music is simple and emotional (look to Yellow, TroubleSparks, We Never Change, and Everything's Not Lost, for example). A Rush of Blood to the Head adds hints of orchestration and soundscape to their repertoire (Politik, Amsterdam, Clocks, Daylight to note some); while X & Y shifts the band to arena rock-type of style (White Shadows, Fix You, and Speed of Sound). With Viva la Vida or Death and All of His Friends, Coldplay becomes an Art Rock band, adding layers upon layers of music and ambiance (Viva La Vida, Strawberry Swing, Lovers in Japan, 42, and Cemeteries of London, to note some); while Mylo Xyloto (the only album I'm conflicted with) capitalizes the current electro-pop rock movement of the airwaves (Paradise and Princess of China). So with this in mind, is it really gay to listen to a band that's musically complex, being able to make life all the more tragic, romantic, and exciting? I think not.


No comments:

Post a Comment