Monday, December 2, 2013

"Rachel! RACHEL!! (WHERE IS SHE?!?!)"

About the title, sorry, but I couldn't help myself - I just HAD to! You understand, right? =3

Side note: I meant to write this MUCH sooner, but life (school, work, and even "Rachel" herself) manages to overwhelm me daily (parts of these recent posts have, in fact, been written at work!) Also, "Rachel" is a She Wants Revenge song.  

To begin, Rachel and I first met through a mutual friend. Whenever I meet new people, I try to be more outgoing/friendlier than my usual self, mostly because I've been told I can come across as a cold, distant, or a dick in the past. So like with anyone new in my life, I gave her a simple handshake, a friendly smile (the hope is that it's warm and welcoming, not awkward and creepy - I should practice smiling more), and just like that *snaps fingers* we became acquaintances, though we both took to liking each other almost immediately. It was obvious: we smiled at each other and looked around for each other. Like, a lot. Though, I didn't do a thing about it. Mostly because I felt like I needed a much needed break from chasing girls (the masquerade incident still lingers in my mind) and I realized (after said incident) that this year just wasn't my year and I decided to accept being single for a few months more (this was about a month and a half ago, if I recall correctly). A couple of days later, I'd give up that resolution and asked our mutual friend if Rachel was seeing anyone (I'd eventually learn that Rachel had asked the same of me). 

After that, it became incredibly easy. At first, we mostly communicated via Internet (which worked great for us - our bizarre schedules and geographic distances would make it difficult to go out for coffee or frozen yogurt or whatever us kids are supposed to do for a meet up these days). Soon enough, we exchanged numbers and we began messaging and (eventually) calling each other. And to elaborate, before we exchanged numbers, I had asked her out on a date. But as I reflect on it now, I would have liked it more if I could have asked her out in person, but I had no way of meeting her in person to do so: the wacky schedules, remember?

Thus, our one date became a series of dates; our acquaintanceship grew into a friendship, which, in turn, maturated into a romance;  and I'm left in the center of it all, wondering how all this came to be. 

So there you have it: the simple story of how I met your mo--err, my girlfriend. It's, in no way, this passionate, Hollywood movie-type of thing, nor this boy-meets-girl kind of story (it's its own thing, I've come to realize), but I'm still amazed to have found somebody who likes me for me, and who I like for who she is. And she is someone I didn't plan to have in my life (at least for a few more months, that is). That alone makes her all the more special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment