Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Guilty Pleasures (Late Post!)

EDIT: I had actually written this months ago, but I didn't realize that I hadn't posted this yet, so it's been laying around, unused. Enjoy!

I had the strange pleasure of talking with some of my professors about their guilty musical pleasures. Even as I type this now, I can't stop smiling. I find it humorous to know that this different side of their selves exists. It's something that I didn't anticipate from them at all. On campus, they seem so reserved and conservative. Who knows what they're really like outside of campus? I only found out about this side of them since Dr. Dre popped up in their Pandora/Spotify radio (all I know it was internet radio - it could've been iHeartRadio for all I know). Anyhow, this tiny revelation led to an extensively humorous discussion about our musical guilty pleasures. Pretty much, my mind was blown by their exciting (and seemingly taboo musical preferences).

So, to conclude, here are three songs that reflect our musical guilty pleasures (mine included):

Linkin Park - "Somewhere I Belong" - I still don't know why one of my professors considers this a a guilty (if it was one of their later albums, I'd understand), but yeah, he hates to admit that he's into Linkin Park. He prefers Hybrid Theory or Meteora to their other albums.


Snoop Dogg - "Ain't No Fun" - My professor was almost ashamed (in a funny, awkward "promise not to laugh" kind of way) to admit this is her song (especially when she works out in her free time). She knows what exactly what the content entitles, and yet she's finding the music soothing and strangely empowering. Must be the beat of the song, I suppose. 


Kanye West - "It All Falls Down" - This is my musical guilty pleasure of sorts. I always turn to Yeezy whenever I want to just shut down my brain and not think. Like my professor and Snoop Doggy Dog, I also know what the content is and I just take it in by stride. However, I must admit that only West's "The College Years" (as I like to call The College Dropout, Late Registration, and Graduation) is what I find most attractive. Anything beyond that, I just can't listen to it - it's just too weird and not quite my taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment