Monday, June 16, 2014

"We ARE the Walking Dead!"


Now that the Spring Semester is over (finally!) and summer is here, I've been making some headway here and there to read the now-famous The Walking Dead comic series. Like most people (I think), I first stumbled upon the series through the television show, not the comic series itself (and even then, I started watching the show well into the program's third season, so as you can see, I am quite behind). As of now, I have watched the show up until the end of the third season (I'm waiting on Netflix for the fourth), and I'm currently reading the seventh "chapter" in the comic series (through the "The Walking Dead Compendium" rather than the individual issues or the volumes themselves).

Of course, whenever a book is transposed into a television show or a film of sorts, there will always be liberties taken and changes made, and The Walking Dead is no exception to this rule. While some of the key settings (the initial camp, the Greene Farm, and so forth) stayed the same, it is the characters (some are exclusive to the show) and the events that really make up for the majority of the differences, differences that make the television show and the comic series become their own dynamic entities, rather than having the show simply replicate the source material in a bland and boring way. These differences, in some nerdy way, excite me, since I like to compare and contrast one rendition with the source material or one rendition with another rendition. 

Rather than going in-depth with these differences, or even going into the plot, I just want to simply share this 2-page image that's found in the comic, powerfully stating that maybe it's not outside threat that should worry us, but perhaps it is "us" that should worry us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment