Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Anime Expo of 2013

This year's Anime Expo (or AX13, in short) was my first experience. As I wrote in an earlier post, I had to spend the first day working a full shift, before I rushed over to make the most of what remained for that day's schedule. As a result, I had (at most), approximately a mere 2-day experience of the event (and as I wrote, I had paid for the full 4-Day experience). Nonetheless, I had much fun. It was an all-new experience for me (since it was my first time going to such an event), and I have to admit, it was all overwhelming. So many people, so many cosplayers, so much to see and so much to do!!! There wasn't enough time to do it all, but that's with anything fun and exciting. In reflection of Anime Expo, there are some things I would like to do differently next (here's hoping I can go all four days!!!):


  1. Approach more cosplayers - I saw some pretty awesome cosplayers (two of which are the thumbnails to my AX vlogs), but I was nervous to approach and ask for a photo or even record them for the vlogs. But I've learned that people want to be approached, just at reasonable moments. If they are eating, resting, on the phone, or heading over to a panel/meeting, it's not a good time. Other than that, it should be fine to approach them. 
  2. Plan ahead - Half of my experience at AX13 was impetuous and impromptu. Not that it's a bad thing, but with proper planning, I can make the most of any given day. 
  3. Attend an 18+ panel - This is dubious but necessary, in my opinion. There are certain panels/events exclusive to people over 18 ranging from karaoke and stand-up comedy, to speed-dating and dances, and to more adult content like watching erotic anime to learn Japanese (that was one of the events this year)! 
  4. Have time off from work - I had originally planned for all four days off, but a co-worker took time off for a couple of days (it was the July 4th weekend) and another got fired, so I ended up picking all the extra hours, working more that what I should have worked regardless. Hopefully next year, nobody will ask for days off around the time of the Expo (or better yet, nobody gets fired!).

No comments:

Post a Comment