Thursday, January 16, 2014

"her"


I recently saw this movie a almost a ago, totally unaware that this movie was released a few weeks back. In short, I was amazed by how great this movie was. Not that I had low expectations for the film, mind you, but when the story revolves around a romantic relationship between a man and an artificial intelligence, you just don't know what to expect! But Spike Jonze delivered a touching story that goes beyond the immediate, or the forever now as I call it (I'll always thank the Psychedelic Furs for that phrase). 

In some ways, I feel that there's some foreshadowing about the direction of where our modern society is heading. For example, while the idea of dating an artificial intelligence seem ludicrous and preposterous now, perhaps it'll be a social/cultural norm in the not-to-distant future, when AIs can be intuitive and responsive as Samantha. After all, more and more relationships seem to created through the Internet or a social media website of sorts, so the idea of humans developing real emotions with AIs almost seems to be the next step. Also, it's a little depressing to say that we may end up being so overworked that people like Theodore (the main character in the film) are hired to wrie a myriad of romantic love letters on behalf of those who don't have the time anymore to even begin to write a love letter for somebody. 

In some ways, I was able to connect with Theodore in not only the predicaments he was finding himself in, but even how he decided to deal with said predicaments. It was almost like looking at a mirror, and in doing so, realizing how my actions and decisions may have pushed her away. It was difficult to watch those moments, to know that I've made those same mistakes Theodore had also made. But on a more positive perspective, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing those surrogate love letters he had composed, mostly because those letters remind me of the letters I've written over a year ago. Perhaps, I should keep on writing letters, even if there isn't a narrative to bring them all together, like the first twelve I wrote did. 

All in all, this is one of those movies that you'll walk away moved, reflecting on what is love, how it's expressed, and how just the right person (or in this case, an AI) can make life all the more beautiful, inspiring, and fulfilling. 



No comments:

Post a Comment