Friday, August 7, 2015

Job Hunting - Day 1

"Good morning, VIETNAM!!!" - such a classic movie.

Seriously, happy Friday to all of you! 

As the title says, today's the first (serious) day of my job hunting. I've tried to job hunt before, but I've been quite lazy and uninterested in said job hunting. With my recent graduation and a grandiose $50k of debt (thank you, high quality college education) hanging over my head, I can't afford to spend any more time lounging about. 

The truth of the matter is, I don't know what I'm doing! Although, that can be said of any recent college graduate, I'm the first in my family to have made it this far. I'm the first with a formal education in my family (whether I'm truly educated or not, that can be debated), and I'm the first to be seeking a career, not a job. It's a bizarre feeling that I'm the first in the family to make a positive impact in my family.

So today, I set up a LinkdIn account, to portray my more professional side(???, I don't know what to say), as well as erasing (well, to the extent of my power) any dubious "events" on my social media (I really don't have any...I think, but I can never be too safe, I suppose). Oh, and I've got a résumé down. And that's all I got.

Not. Very. Productive.

The problem lies with me - "What do I to be? Who do I want to be?" I've been so used to being the busboy, the landscaper, the cashier, or the manufacturer that I don't know what else I could be! I can't see myself being in the upper echelons of the workforce here in the US. I'm too accustomed to being a blue-collar worker that becoming a white-collar worker seems an impossible goal to achieve.

I must reflect on what I want for myself career-wise and go from there. In the mean time, I'll be looking for postings online and nearby and hope to the Good Lord Upstairs that I can find something that I want and can do and can be immensely satisfying. It's such a shame to end today's post on a bummer note, but on the positive side, this also is a good exercise in whittling out what I don't want to do for my career, which is nice. I'll update you guys this upcoming Monday. Until then, fellow readers!

P.S.: I've gotta find a new name for you guys - "Readers" is too generic for my taste. You guys need a cool name or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment