Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Space Between Two Worlds...

          I hate to end this week on somber note, but more and more frequently, I have been losing motivation to communicate with my "people," so to speak. By people, I am referring to those of the Mexican culture, to The People of the Sun. Most of this dissatisfaction has to do with work. Many see me and they assume I'm Middle Eastern or Indian or that I don't know Spanish. I hate that I look like something I'm not. I'm exasperated of those nonchalant comments of how I don't look Mexican, or that they're surprised that I know Spanish. It's frustrating when I try to communicate in Spanish and they adamantly continue struggle to speak in English, with their thick accents and poor vocabulary making it difficult to decipher what it is they're looking for. It's almost as if they think I'm too stupid or too ignorant to understand Spanish, the same language passed on to me from my parents. I'll admit that my Spanish isn't the best, but I know others who are worse off than myself. In the end, I really do feel like I'm in the space between two worlds - the one that has defined my parents and our ancestors before them, and the one that I'm forging for my own here in the US. Two very different cultures juxtaposed into one human being - what's one to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment