Monday, April 22, 2013

"You Gay or Somethin'?"

I had a brief conversation with somebody who works for the Metro highway patrol gig (sorry, can’t really properly explain it). It started with him telling me if I saw "the onion" on the lady that just left the station. Confused, I asked him to elaborate on what exactly he means by " the onion." He was, unsurprisingly, referring to her booty. I joked if there were other names, like radishes, a cabbage, and so on (apparently, women can have cabbages, though it isn’t pretty). Because I didn’t hound over this woman like he was, Rick was attacking my sexuality. It had caught me off guard, so I was at a loss for words to explain that I wasn’t that kind of person anymore. All I could immediately say was that I was more of a romantic kind of guy, and hope he would understand. He didn’t and just like that, walked out of the store, as though it was just another conversation between the guys. 

Reflecting on this, I am starting to realize just how much my perspective on women has changed over the these past few years. When I was younger, I was just like the Metro guy: checking out girls left and right, objectifying really, and looking for the next hook-up. Now, I’m starting to be a person who sees women as women, instead of a piece of meat. Working at the station has helped and also wanting/looking for a serious relationship has helped me grow. Unfortunately, I do fall back on that visual stimulation from time to time, but I don’t regress to my former self too much.

Now that I think about it, perhaps this song can put how I feel much more coherently than I can at the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment