Friday, December 6, 2013

"One Sky, One Destiny"

"Thinking of you, wherever you are...There are many worlds, but they share the same sky - one sky, one destiny."

As I've posted something earlier this year, I have signed up for an Instagram account. For the most part, I've been quite lax with my activity, having developed a modest following and such, but I suppose I could put more effort into it. However, that's not the point. The point is that I try to interact with others and I feel that there are several people that I've taken a liking to, mostly because we are able to practically have exchange conversations through the comment sections. As I have more conversations and learn more about the other people that I follow, it always takes me by surprise that some of the people that I interact with are from different parts of the world. Scotland, the Philippines, Canada...the countries go on! Of course, I shouldn't be so surprised that this is the case - this is the modern age of the Internet, after all. So why does it take me by surprise that it does?

Perhaps it has to do that there is a personal connection (albeit a small, distant connection), since users that I follow and converse with regularly become more than just a clever user name and a series of random photographs. They become nurses, gamers, photographers, dog lovers, celebrators of life, and so much more! I guess this can be compared to the random strangers in our daily lives. Maybe that's why I'm always taken aback when I learn more about the people I follow or who follow me. They become a person, with hopes, fears, hopes, and despairs, (although the Internet always shows the best of us, never the worst of us). I can add a face, a personality, and perhaps if I'm ever lucky enough, a voice to those so far away from where I'm from. 
 
But it isn't just technology that connects us, as the quote reveals. There are some many things we share together. The sun, the moon, the stars, the skies, the world, the human condition. Only we forget to that we do, since it seems that we're always drowning in a sea of our own problems to remember that our lives are much more than the forever now. I know I'm at fault at this from time to time. Which is why I'm writing this now - I had to be reminded of those connections. The hope is that I (or rather, we) don't forget this simple truth and the we continually reach out and impact the lives of those around us, both near and far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment