Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Video Game Theme Music

Recently, I've been somewhat obsessed with listening to theme songs from various video games I have played over the years. They've been providing me with a refreshing break from the music I've been listening lately, which is currently Avenged Sevenfold and Nine Inch Nails. I amazed at how creative some of the music has been, and I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I didn't appreciate the music initially (or rather, took me so long to REALLY hear the music). So instead of me ranting, or telling a life story of mine, I thought I'd do something different and share with you 10 of the many theme songs (in no particular order) that I've been listening to lately. Enjoy!

1) Devils Never Cry by Testuya Shibata & Shootie HG: The harsh vocals & guitar, juxtaposed with the gothic/renaissance atmosphere of the music are something to behold here. 


2) Operation: Market Garden by Michael Giacchino: Anders' performance as the solo vocalist is just beautiful. The way he lends his voice to the music can allow us to shed solemn tears for our fallen heroes. 


3) Super Smash Bros. Melee Theme as performed by The New Japanese Philharmonic: Somehow, the epic theme got more epic-er.


4) God of War II Main Theme by Gerard K. Marino: Fun fact - the composer intentionally reduced the woodwind sections and doubled the brass sections to create the powerful, memorable sound GoW is known for. Also, everything is sung in Greek!


5) Throw It All Away (Shadow's Theme) featuring Everett Bradley: I thoroughly enjoy the industrial/hard rock feel of the music here (similar to Devils Never Cry). It'd be great to hear more of this type of sound in music more often. 


6) Fallout 3 Main Theme by Inon Zur: This orchestral piece can really captures the insecurity of living in a post-apocalyptic world. My only gripe here is that the piece is too short. 


7) Open Your Heart by Crush40: In a (successful) attempt to make Sonic Adventure more edgier and down-to-earth, prog-rock pieces like this theme song are found through the game.


8) Live & Learn by Crush40: The prog-rock attitude continues in this main theme song of Sonic Adventure 2. After this game, most theme songs of following Sonic games have been somewhat lacking, to say the least. 


9) Godot: The Fragrance of Coffee by Noriyuki Iwadare: There are no words to really describe this beautiful and jazzy orchestral interpretation. This is one of those pieces that should be played at a wedding somehow. 


10) Fly in the Freedom (Rouge's Theme) featuring Tabitha Fair: I hated this song as a kid, but as an adult, I really love this style of music (the problem is: I don't know what would this be considered! I'm thinking Jazz or Bossa Nova, but I could be wrong). Complex, elaborate, and sexy, Fair's vocals add to the music to create a song that's strangely memorable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment